The Topeka Mine was about 1/4 mile north of Russell Gulch. The Topeka inclined shaft connected with fifteen levels and the West Topeka shaft reached only to the seventh level and was used only for ventilation. Practically all the output from this mine was treated at the Penn Mill in Black Hawk owned by the same company that owned the mine.
The Gilpin Tramway reached the Topeka Mine before the end of July in 1888. This more than mile long spur was the longest spur on any of the Gilpin Tramway branches. A siding at this mine amounted to 730 feet.
Gilpin Railroad Station Listing by Dan Abbott
Mile Post 44.23
This page was last updated 01/27/07
Copyright 2007 by Mark Baldwin